As a recent college graduate, I have found myself reminiscing on freshman year and how far I have come to get to where I am today. College is a whirlwind of meeting new people and doing things you have never done before.
Want some tips from someone who has been in your shoes? Check out the top five things I learned my freshman year of college:
- Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. Many of your new experiences are going to be different and may sometimes be uncomfortable. Don’t be scared! Most people feel the same way.
- Living a healthy lifestyle is a habit and doesn't always come naturally. That’s OK! Just do your best to go for a walk or eat your greens occasionally. Lucky for you, our 24-hour gym is just steps away.
- Social media lifestyles can be deceiving. Anyone can look happy and seem like they have friends if they post enough pictures of them smiling. So, if you ever feel a little alone after looking at Instagram for too long, call an old friend to get out of your slump and remind you that making real friends takes time.
- You should call home, not because you miss it, but because your family misses you more than you know.
- Living on your own is exciting and may be the first time you can really practice independence. For example, you may need to learn how to avoid shrinking your clothes. We’ve provided a washer and dryer in your apartment home…the rest is up to you!
Soak it all in and welcome the newness in your life. When in doubt, remember the person next to you may be feeling the same things…so don’t be afraid to reach out to those around you. College is fun and exciting so don’t sweat the small stuff! If we can ever make your transition easier, please reach out and our staff would love to help you to the best of their ability.